Knockando Kirk is the usual name of Knockando, Elchies & Archiestown Parish Church of Scotland (Scottish Charity No.SC014428) which is situated at Knockando, AB38 7RX.
Sunday services are at 10:00 a.m. Other services are held as intimated.
The parish of Knockando, Elchies and Archiestown includes the former civil parish of Knockando, and the small communities of Macallan, Carron, Cardhu, Elchies, Kirdels, Tamdhu, Pitchroy and Blacksboat.
The present church was built in 1993 to replace its predecessor which had been erected in 1757 but destroyed by fire in 1990. The current building is the third, but the former parishes of Elchies (Macallan) and of Knockando date from before the Reformation, Elchies having been dependant on Botarie and Knockando having been dependent on Inveraven. The former church at Archiestown began life as Knockando Free Church in the 19th Century but rejoined the Church of Scotland in 1934. Some time after Elchies and Archiestown were united with Knockando the former two church buildings ceased to be used.
In the main vestibule there is a list of the Ministers of Knockando, Elchies & Archiestown since the Reformation.
Knockando Kirk today is bright and airy and has some attractive stained glass panels including the Creation window by Andrew Lawson Johnston donated by the Guild, and some smaller panels by Gail Steele and by Fiona McInnes donated by members of the congregation. There is also a copper Memory Tree made by a coppersmith at Rothes. God’s Word is still preached by the Minister from the pulpit (which came from the former Glenlivet Church) and the communion, or Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, is still served to the people symbolically seated at the Table (not an altar) which came from the former Elchies Church and was saved from the fire in the previous church.
As well as being the sanctuary in which the community gathers for the worship of God Sunday by Sunday it is also the focal point of many of the great events in the lives of our people. Here children and adults are baptised, couples are married and the funeral services for deceased parishioners are held. After a funeral service minister and mourners walk to the adjoining Kirkyard and cemetery for the final committal. The former Watch House in the Kirkyard (used by the elders to stand guard in the era of grave-robbers) has been converted into a simple Chapel which is available 24-hours a day.
There is a Guild and a small but active Sunday school and a Church Singing Group meets monthly. During the months of April to October inclusive afternoon teas (Heavenly Pieces) are served in the Church every Wednesday where our many visitors are treated to legendary Knockando home bakes. In the past the church provided the local school and supported the poor; links with the school continue today. There are many ways in which our church continues to minister in our communities in worship and in pastoral care.
01340 831497 (Church Office)
Knockando, AB38 7RX